To define virtualization in very simple terms, it can be termed as operating more than one tasks in some other task at the same point of time. Vitualization is usually referred to is the server virtualization. It can enable oneself to run more than one operating systems in the same physical server. With this it means you can run Windows and Linux OS on the same physical server at the same time. Virtualization softwares are used to create multiple virtualized servers in a physical, Virtuozzo and Hyper V which is the latest introduction by Microsoft.
A VPS offers a similar environment as that of a Dedicated server. Web Hosting providers offer such solutions to the customers when demanded. Depending on the web host, they may have such packages to be offered.
Windows Hyper V is the latest introduction to the world of virtualization. This new innovation has enabled Microsoft to once again compete with other virtualization technologies already present in the web hosting market. It is equipped with the ability to provide advanced support to the functioning, guest session support, administrative support and improvements for the web hosting service providers making the servers much more reliable than ever.
Microsoft has managed to introduce improvements to the virtual host capabilities of Hyper V are the core functional additions to Windows Server 2008. These improvements relate to security, reliability and performance. The most significant addition to Hyper V is the new virtual switch that provides greater flexibility for managing the network communication among guest images and internetworking infrastructure of an organization.
Below are some major benefits of using such Virtualization technologies:
1. Most importantly, the capability of Greener datacenter and server environment because of the consolidation.
2. Independence to the hardware of Virtual Servers, as it can operate on any host server, regardless of the host hardware.
3. The capability of reducing the time taken for the server to be set-up. One can create a new virtual server within few minutes and with few clicks, whereas previously it used to take hours to set up.
4. It adds majorly to reducing the infrastructure cost of the datacenter as less hardware needs to be housed in it. With this helps in reducing the resources spent on KVM ports, power, cooling, back-ups, etc.
5. It also cuts down the costs and time for disaster recovery, not to forget the complexities involved in it.
6. It reduces a major chunk of administrative overhead as the servers can be administered through a single console.
7. The number of physical servers are reduced.
Hyper-V is a feature of Windows Server 2008 and it is required to be run on system with a 64-bit CPU. Its Hypervisor is about 100k, the Hyper-V role is about 100Mb, and Windows Server 2008, fully installed is multiple GB. The centralized management platform for Hyper-V is System Center Virtual Machine Manager.