Virtual private network and routing remote access.
VPN Stands for virtual private network it allows you to connect to your private network, via another network, such as the Internet. Users can connect to it by using VPN, and then access shared files on your local drive s or on your network. PPTP and L2TP protocols are used to create Virtual private network. Both are Network layer protocol in OSI module..
If you are thinking to create a VPN on your server then you will need to configure Routing and Remote Access on your server. Please follow the steps
1. Open your control panel then click administrative tools, click routing and remote access server.
2. Routing remote access console tree will open and then use right clock on the computer on which RRA server installed. Select configure and enable routing remote access server.
3. Welcome screen will open. Click next.
4. Select a type of configuration and click next.
5. In the Remote Client Protocols dialog box, confirm that TCP/IP is included in the list, click Yes, all of the available protocols are on this list, and then click Next.
6. In the Internet Connection dialog box, select the Internet connection that will connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
7. Then select remote access configuration type and click next.
8. Specify how IP addresses will be assigned to the remote clients (Automatically and form specify range), and click the Next button.
9. If you select (form specify range) this option ,then e specify the IP address range and click ok.
11. On the Managing Multiple Remote Access Servers page, select the required option, and click the Next button.
12. Click Next, and then click Finish…
Then you will need no configure PPTP (Point to point tuning protocol).
PPTP is a Network layer Protocol in OSI Basic reference module.
13. Right click on Ports. Properties — click the WAN miniport (PPTP), then click configure.
14. Type the maximum number of simultaneous PPTP connections that you want to allow in the Maximum Ports text box.
15. You will need to Repeat above above 3 steps (13.14.15) again for L2TP.
Then you need to configure VPN server
You will need to configure RRA server as a router.
1. Start, administrative tools, click routing remote access server.
2. use right click on server name, click properties.
3. click General, select Enable this computer as router
4. Select either Local area network (LAN) routing only or LAN and demand-dial routing, and Then click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
How to Configure PPTP Ports Confirm the number of PPTP ports that you need.
To verify the number of ports or to add ports, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, Administrative Tools, and then click Routing and Remote Access.
2. Expand Routing and Remote Access, expands the server name, and then click Ports.
3. Right-click Ports, and then click Properties.
4. In the Ports Properties dialog box, click WAN Miniport (PPTP), and then click Configure.
5. In the Configure Device dialog box, select the maximum number of ports for the device, and then select the options to specify whether the device accepts incoming connections only, or both incoming and outgoing connections.
After completing above steps you will have to configure client on you local Machine…
Follow the steps on your Local machine.
1. Click the Network places icon on desktop.
2. Double click on Make New Connections.
3. Click Connect to a private network through internet and next.
4. Select Virtual private network and click next.
5. then type the Company name in the blank box click next
6. Type the host name or IP address of the server which you want to connect, and then click next. And click next– then click Finish.
How to use the connection
1.Click Network places icon, click vies network connections.
2.Right click the virtual private network icon and click connect.
3.Once the connection to the Internet is made, the VPN server asks you for your user name and password.
4.Enter your user name and password, click Connect,
To disconnect from the VPN, right-click the connection’s icon, and then click Disconnect .
Note: It’s not possible you to connect RDP and VPN simultaneousl.