What is Cloud Hosting?
Cloud hosting is the coupling of computing resources offered by a cloud computing supplier or a cloud service provider with the intent of hosting websites, services and solutions. Cloud hosting is often seen as an Infrastructure as a Service model, indicating it comprises a collection of remotely located computing resources. The resources used in cloud hosting are kept aside depending on the real-time conditions that might occur in instances of peak performance of cloud computing.
The underlying concept of cloud hosting is ‘Divide and Rule’ where the resources required for managing the user website are divided amongst several servers and then utilized as per an on-demand basis. This mechanism helps in minimizing any chances of downtime in case the server goes down.
How Cloud Hosting Works
Cloud hosting is centered around the deployment of virtual hardware, storage, network as well as composite solutions offered by a provider. It is implemented by the means of virtualization where the entire set of computing resource requirements for a data center is shared amongst and delivered from various locations at the same time. The user opts for an integrated framework for hosting his applications along with other services and data. With cloud hosting in place, the user can manage the spikes in load without any affecting bandwidth-related problems, as other servers can offer additional resources. Thus, with cloud hosting, the user website doesn’t rely on a single server, rather a bundle of servers functions together, thereby known as the Cloud.
Benefits of Cloud Hosting
- In cloud hosting, the performance of websites and web applications is enhanced as the load gets evenly distributed amongst the servers present on the network. In case of cloud hosting, the availability of resources is also high, since there is no dependency on a single physical server much like Shared Hosting.
- With cloud hosting, it becomes easy and quick upgradation of resources like CPU and RAM, thereby enhancing the scalability when the traffic of the user website shoots up.
- Cloud hosting offers data mirroring that helps in securing user data. The data is mirrored on different devices in case there is any hardware failure, thus eliminating the risk of losing the user data. This helps in ensuring a hassle-free data backup along with recovery.
- The pricing of cloud hosting is very economical considering the features that it offers. In some cases, the user has to pay only for the resources that he has used. Some notable features of cloud hosting include- free data migration, completely managed hosting, resource monitoring to name a few.
- Cloud hosting is a highly reliable hosting service since the data present on the server has triple redundancy because of mirroring. This ensures the data present on the cloud to remain secure, in case there is a server failure, making the data recovery process much easier.
Features of Cloud Hosting
Following are desired set of characteristics that a user looks to gain out of cloud hosting-
- Highly Accessible Environment
Cloud offers a primarily categorized infrastructure at affordable rates. Cloud is a distributed network offering servers and storages along with high connectivity bandwidth. Loading servers over the native networks is a great idea as these costs when performed with other hosting services becomes expensive and relatively unreliable.
- Completely Managed Hosting Solution
Cloud depicts a location where user websites and their various applications are present along with real-time solutions, eliminating the need of maintaining them by a business owner or a manager. With cloud hosting, the users don’t need to be concerned about issues like- enhancing memory, acquiring additional data space or even allocating extra bandwidth.
- Constant Performance Monitoring
On cloud platforms, the website and web applications are constantly being monitored. One of the underlying characteristics of cloud hosting is being constantly monitored and resolving issues. In case an issue has been escalated, the developers in real-time can solve these instantly.
- Scalable & User-Customized
Depending on the sophistication level that the user needs, solutions in real-time can be laid for the desired set of configurations. Operations in cloud hosting need additional resources, so with cloud hosting it is easy to upgrade your cloud server or even allocate the server spaces. As previously discussed, with cloud hosting it is completely customized as per the needs of the user, allowing him to pay only for the resources that he has utilized.
What Future Holds for Cloud Hosting
Over the past few years, cloud hosting has developed significantly. A number of large-sized enterprises have been encashing on its benefits. However, for small businesses, it is still present in a relatively novice stage, leading to a reduction in its prices. In today’s time, the prices have come down with top industries leveraging the benefits of cloud hosting. This has encouraged the mid-sized businesses to migrate to cloud. In the future, it can be evidently seen that more businesses will be making their move towards cloud as low-costs cloud implementation solutions are being developed constantly.
To conclude, I would say that cloud hosting is the next big thing in the hosting arena owing to the discussed advantages that it offers. A large number of cloud hosting providers also emerging at rapid rates, and in the future, we might not just say but also witness ‘everybody is on Cloud’.