Forgetting passwords is one of the most common incidents when one works with a lot of computer devices and web hosting servers. Not remembering the password and being unable to access the computer or server is very frustrating. But fortunately you can reset the forgotten passwords on both Linux Hosting and Windows Web Hosting accounts. Here I would like to share the process of resetting the root password on a Linux Hosting account.
- You can reset your password by rebooting a system in single user mode.
- After booting your server, you can face GRUB boot loader where you should select kernel by using arrow key, because from it you can boot the system.
- Press the key ‘e’ to enter in to edit mode for editing a entry.
- Choose the second line starting with the word kernel, and again press the key ‘e’ to append to the ‘single user mode’.
- To the end of line insert a space and type ‘s’ and hit ‘Enter’ button.
- Now press ‘b’ for booting the system kernel in single user mode.
- You will come to shell prompt where you need to type ‘passwd’ command to reset the password.
- Enter your new password and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
That’s it. Here you have successfully reset your password. Now you can reboot the system for normal use.