A dedicated server is the only web hosting service available that can provide you with a physical form of web hosting that will offer you a hosting environment, which is completely separate from anyone else. Although dedicated server hosting may be a more expensive form of web hosting, for the most part it is highly beneficial for larger businesses, as you are able to select hardware assignments that are usually impossible to receive with VPS server hosting because of the architecture of the hosting platform. Dedicated servers can provide you with a dedicated web hosting environment that you can then configure as per your requirements; you can also install any applications that you see as being fitting for your requirements so that you are able to create a hosting environment that will be able to serve your website as you need. Any good web hosting provider will be able to offer you the choice between Windows and Linux for your dedicated server; this choice of operating system will help you to ensure that you all the applications that you choose to use as well as your web applications are fully compatible with your dedicated server at every level.
Advantages of a Dedicated Server
There are many advantages to using a dedicated server, all of which will provide you with good value for money and will allow you to improve the browsing experience for end users who are visiting your website. Such advantages includes:
- Dedicated hosting environment – a dedicated server will offer you a dedicated hosting environment that no-one else will have access to because you will have sole use of your dedicated server – this will allow you to install any applications of your choice on the operating system of your choice so that you can create a hosting environment that will suits your needs perfectly, although it is up to you to be able to manage your dedicated server properly if you wish to be able to make the most of what a dedicated server has to offer – if you feel that you may not be able to manage a dedicated hosting environment then you can always consider a managed dedicated server
- Reliability – a dedicated server will be able to provide you with a greater level of reliability than any lower end form of web hosting and so if your website provides you with a source of income, it is recommended that you choose a dedicated server to allow you to capitalise on reliability of a dedicated server – as you won’t be sharing your server with anyone else, you won’t need to worry about any other users or website affecting the uptime of your server, although in order for you to be able to make the most of the reliability that can be offered you will need to be able to manage your dedicated server properly
- Security – because of the dedicated hosting environment offered, you will be able to secure your dedicated server to a level that will suit your needs perfectly – you can choose to use any security applications of your choice that you feel will provide you and your visitors with a satisfactory level of security that in turn will allow you to make the most of your dedicated server – if you are going to be handling personal or sensitive data on your website to any extent then it is important for you to make sure that you can guarantee the safety and security of the data that your visitors enter into your website.
The advantages of using a dedicated server leave with you with little argument as to why you shouldn’t consider dedicated server hosting for your business hosting requirements.
Disadvantages of a Dedicated Server
There can also be disadvantages to using a dedicated server that you should be aware of prior to spending such a large amount of money on a web hosting service because you don’t want to end up with something that you can’t use, and most web hosting companies aren’t willing to provide refunds on dedicated servers once they have been setup and configured. The main disadvantages that you could face include:
- Price – the main disadvantage to using a dedicated server is that you have to pay high prices for dedicated servers that will be suitable for your needs simply because a dedicated server is a form of physical hardware – if you wish to make the most of a dedicated server price wise then it is important to research several different web hosting companies because this will allow you to work out what the average price is based on your needs, if you find that a dedicated server is still unaffordable then you may have to consider one that is of a lower specification than your needs
- Management – regardless of whether you choose to use Windows or Linux, it is important for you to have the skills required that will allow you to manage your dedicated server properly as this otherwise you won’t be able to use your dedicated hosting environment in the way that you wish to – if you feel that the management of your dedicated server is going to be an issue then you can always consider fully managed dedicated server hosting if you are able to afford it because this will take the responsibility of server management away from you.
In conclusion, a dedicated server will be able to offer you a hosting experience that is second to none when compared to other web hosting services because you won’t be sharing any portion of your resources with other users to any extent. Dedicated servers are offered by most web hosting companies, meaning that there is a wide variety of choice although it may cause issues when it comes to selecting the web hosting company that you wish to use. As dedicated servers are made up of many different items of hardware, there are many resources that you can configure and so this reaffirms the idea that it is important for you to be sure of what your requirements are.