Any internet hosting refers to one of the following types: shared hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated server, and more recently, the cloud hosting. Let’s look at what type of hosting services are different from cloud.
VDS hosting is the most affordable. In addition, it is worth noting that the virtual hosting has a different functionality and cannot withstand a lot of traffic. Cloud Hosting as opposed to virtual characterized by the ability to dynamically allocate resources of the physical server that provides a stable sites at any attendance. However, for cloud hosting, you pay for the resources that are utilized.
VPS as opposed to cloud hosting is a virtual dedicated server that allows you to install the necessary software, and does not depend on the resource intensity of neighboring hosts. But since the degree of server load varies over time, at certain parts of the day, such server resources are simply idle. Cloud hosting is different and works on hourly billing, the rate can be changed either manually or automatically. If your site is having less visitors, you can take the cheapest rate plan, if the counters attendance through the roof, you can rent a cluster server.
Dedicated hosting is located on a separate physical server and until recently represented the most powerful platform.
Thus, the characteristics of cloud hosting is ahead from traditional hosting for a lot of options.
Shared web hosting and dedicated hosting can be seen as being at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the web hosting services that are available from a majority of web hosting companies. Whilst a shared web hosting plan is often put together with beginners in mind, most dedicated servers can be customized during the order process to offer something that is individual to the business or individual that is going to be using it. Shared web hosting plans often carry low resource assignments and a feature-set that will allow a beginner to make the most of their first domain name and get a website online, the benefit here being that shared web hosting plans also carry a comparably low price tag to suit the intended audience. Dedicated servers are tailored towards the other end of the market, providing a level of performance that can’t be matched by any other form of web hosting; as a dedicated server is a physical server, you will have the option to make modifications to the hardware during the order process – you can choose from a range of different hard drive configurations that use RAID or boost the memory and CPU power that you have on tap.
Which form of hosting is going to offer the highest level of performance?
A shared web hosting plan is never going to be able to beat a dedicated server in terms of performance because dedicated servers are only used by the owner of that server, whereas a shared web hosting server will be used by many users. However, in terms of the performance that each intended audience requires, both forms of hosting will be able to serve their market’s performance expectations with no issues. Small websites don’t demand large resource allocations – especially when the website in question has only just started out – and it is because of this that a shared web hosting service will be more than capable of supporting small websites; a dedicated server can be expanded to host websites that receive thousands of visitors everyday, with a number of advanced configurations available such as load balanced clusters.
Will dedicated hosting or shared hosting offer the best features?
With shared hosting you can be guaranteed a full set of features as these will be set out as part of your web hosting plan prior to purchasing the service so that you know what you are going to be getting for your money. A web hosting provider should always offer a choice between Windows and Linux so that you can expect features common to the Windows platform such as MSSQL and ASP.NET support, whilst the Linux variant will be more suiting to developers using PHP and MySQL at the core of their web applications. Dedicated servers provide you with a dedicated environment that can be tailored to meet your needs as you wish, with a choice between Windows and a number of different Linux distributions (versions of Linux) being the standard offering; you can customize the hosting environment offered by your dedicated server to include any applications or services that you would like to use in conjunction with your website to produce a highly functional end-user experience – effectively you can use your own feature-set with dedicated hosting.
What is the best approach to take as my website grows?
Quite often it can be disruptive to move a website from one web hosting platform to another as a website grows, but if you are using shared hosting are wanting to grow your website then there will come a point when you will need to upgrade your web hosting plan so that you have the resources available to cope with an increased visitor count. Between shared hosting and dedicated hosting is VPS hosting, which has been created to bridge the gap between the previous two in terms of resources and pricing; however, moving from a shared hosting plan to a VPS server and then on to a dedicated server can cause many issues because downtime could be incurred at certain stages during the process. As your website grows it is recommended that you maximize the resources that are available to you on a shared hosting platform and then complete the migration to a dedicated server because this will only mean one move and will improve the speed in which the transition can be done.
ASP.NET is an enterprise-class scripting framework that can be used for the development of highly scalable and functional web applications that can be hosted on Windows dedicated servers. As ASP.NET is a proprietary technology that has been developed by Microsoft, it is only available with the Windows operating system, although this does provide an array of advantages in terms of performance and features; as there is a close tie between the operating system and the framework, you can be assured more open access to core Windows features that can be used to improve how your web application handles specific tasks and the load that it places on system resources. A dedicated server can handle web applications that are used by thousands of visitors at the same time so combining this with a scripting framework that has been designed to make efficient use of system resources, your web applications won’t be prone to failure because of heavy usage and you should never see any high loads occurring on your dedicated server. Within the dedicated server hosting environment you can always take advantage of other tools such as Microsoft SQL Server that will give you a database backend that you can use with your ASP.NET web applications – this will be inherently important if you are going to be developing scalable and dynamic websites.
Versions of ASP.NET
There are several different versions of ASP.NET that have been released over the years and if you are looking to host an older website on a dedicated server then you will probably need to install an older version of ASP.NET so that your web application functions correctly. Luckily all versions of ASP.NET that have been released are able to work side-by-side on a dedicated server so that Windows web applications of all ages are able to share the same hosting environment. The current version of ASP.NET is 4.5 and this is the recommended framework for you to use if development new ASP.NET applications; older versions include 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 – you should look out for these when choosing any third-party ASP.NET application packages.
IIS Web Hosting
ASP.NET hosting services on a Windows dedicated server are provided by IIS as this is the web server application provided with the operating system and is therefore the only one of its kind capable of serving ASP.NET web pages to visitors. As IIS is also a proprietary application and the only web server with native ASP.NET support, you can be assured of complete compatibility between all of these technologies so that your Windows web applications will function to the best of their ability; furthermore, you can also make your own modifications to improve the efficiency of your website and IIS.
A dedicated server from Host.co.in can provide the perfect breeding ground for any new website because the resources provided will allow you to expand without any limitations. You can also develop your web applications using a number of other technologies and components that won’t be available in the Windows shared hosting environment because you can install any extra features that aren’t offered by default; this means that a Windows dedicated server will represent excellent value for money for all ASP.NET developers.
Microsoft SQL Server Databases
Developing a dynamic website can improve access speeds for your visitors and the way in which you manage your website because all content and configuration information can be stored in one central location that can be accessed from every page and script that is part of your application, as long as there is a connection to the database active. Microsoft SQL Server is a scalable database server solution that can be used for the hosting of databases that have thousands of queries to deal with every minute and underpins some of the busiest websites on the internet; when used in combination with ASP.NET, you can be assured that your web applications have the infrastructure in place that will be able to cope with increases in demand as the number of visitors that you receive improves. MSSQL will perform best when used in a dedicated server environment as you will be able to make a number of different modifications so that the database server functions with your applications in the way that you would like it to.
A dedicated hosting environment is one which is isolated from other users, whether this is in a virtual environment or a physical environment. The design of a dedicated hosting environment is done to ensure that the actions of other users in their respective hosting environments aren’t able to impact on the performance of your website or hosting environment. Dedicated hosting environments are important for businesses looking to establish a web presence where reliability and security need to be abundant so that guarantees with regards to the safety and security of customer data can be provided.
Web Hosting Dedicated
Dedicated servers are the best example of dedicated hosting environments, primarily because you have full use of the hardware that forms your dedicated server and will only have to share this with someone else if you explicitly wish to. Host.co.in offers India dedicated servers of differing specifications that can run both Windows and Linux so that we can cater for businesses regardless of the technologies that they use to develop their IT infrastructure; we also offer custom upgrades for your dedicated hosting customers so that you can expand the use of your dedicated environment by adding extra resources. Dedicated servers from Host.co.in can be effective for users requiring a dedicated hosting environment in the follow manners:
- The hardware specifications of your dedicated server can be adjusted accordingly to match the specifications that you expect in order to be able to use your dedicated server in the way that you wish to
- For Windows hosting users, we are able to obtain licenses for popular Microsoft server applications such as SQL Server and Exchange Server at a reduced cost; installation of these and most other applications can also be performed by our support team, free of charge
- The uptime offered by a dedicated server is often higher than that available with other web hosting services and this is going to be a necessity for businesses that rely on their website for income.
With a Linux dedicated server you will be able to access your dedicated hosting environment via SSH, therefore allowing you to make use of the various Linux commands that are available to manage your server effectively. Windows server administrators will have access to their dedicated hosting environment via Remote Desktop so that they can make full use of the Windows GUI.
Host.co.in’s dedicated servers are hosted out of our state of the art data center located in Nashik, India. We have staff available on-site 24×7 so that you can be assured all issues are dealt with as they are discovered; this also means that you can contact someone with regards to your dedicated server at any time of day.
Web Hosting VPS
A VPS Hosting server is slightly different to a dedicated server; even though you will have your own dedicated hosting environment and dedicated resources that are accessible by any other users, this is within the context of a virtual hosting environment and a physical hosting node that is shared with other VPS hosting users. VPS hosting was developed to be a more affordable way of accessing dedicated hosting, with the target audience being small businesses that would otherwise be unable to afford that costs that are associated with a dedicated server; this is evident with the low-cost VPS servers that are provided by Host.co.in. A VPS server can provide a dedicated environment with features such as:
- Additional resources that you have ordered for your VPS server will be automatically assigned to your server and available for use immediately without the need to reboot your VPS server, therefore no downtime will be incurred
- The state of your server can be managed from a web-based control panel so if for some reason your VPS server becomes inaccessible, you can reset it from a web interface
- You can build up your own network of VPS servers from Host.co.in so that you are able to distribute the load of your website and delegate roles across several servers.
Host.co.in offers some of the most affordable VPS hosting servers in India, with the features and services offered with our hosting plans being ideal for small businesses looking to develop an effective web presence. You will have a choice between Windows VPS Hosting and Linux VPS Hosting and can also customize other aspects of VPS hosting to match your aspirations.
Starting your own web hosting business is one way in which you can make money online, but to do so takes dedication to making your business work as well as time and effort to achieve this. Host.co.in offers a range of reseller web hosting plans that offer those wanting to start their own businesses with the perfect opportunity to get their hosting efforts off the ground; although not offering a dedicated hosting environment, reseller plans offer a more confined environment which will be more than suitable when getting use to the new software and system architectures.
Your reseller web hosting plan from Host.co.in will be hosted in our brand new data center located in Nashik, India. Unlike the data centers of our competitors, we maintain a 24×7 on-site staff presence so that our technical staff not only monitor our network and servers directly from the control room around the clock, but they are in a position that will allow them to identify and sort issues at any time of day before they are able to cause noticeable impact on the performance or operations of websites.
By offering a range of Windows reseller plans and Linux reseller plans, Host.co.in can put you in a position where you can offer your own web hosting clients hosting on both platforms. Although you may not be able to appreciate it at the moment, there are benefits to be had for any web hosting business by offering hosting on Windows and Linux because there will be customers seeking hosting on both platforms; if you offer hosting on one but not the other then you could potentially put yourself in a position where you are losing customers (and additional revenue).
If a reseller hosting plan from Host.co.in isn’t able to satisfy your demand for resources and uptime, Host.co.in offers fully managed VPS servers and dedicated servers that can also serve this purpose, just to a greater extent and with additional benefits.
Web Hosting Billing Software
Web hosting billing applications are designed to simplify the processes that web hosting companies and resellers carry out daily to maintain their business and to provide customers with a stable and consistent hosting experience. Running a business of any sort involves daily processes to make sure that your financial records are kept up to date and in the case of web hosting, that your new customers receive their orders almost immediately after having their payment processed. A high quality web hosting billing application will integrate with many of the applications and services that form the basis of your business; this can include server control panels, fraud prevention systems and finance management applications.
A majority of web hosting billing applications are built with support for the following components of a hosting company:
- Control panel support ensures that customers ordering shared web hosting products have their accounts setup for them once they have completed the checkout process; if looking to use a web hosting billing application with your Host.co.in reseller account, choose an application that has support for the cPanel and Plesk control panels
- Managing finances is important for any business and so any good web hosting billing application will be able to provide you with figures related to the sales of your business so that the process of putting together final accounts for your business can be simplified
- Keeping tabs on the clients of your business is also necessary so that you can offer them a personalized service; all web hosting billing systems act as client management applications and will keep a record of clients’ contact details and the services that they have purchased from you.
Support is a core concern for many web hosting business because it is important for customers to receive replies to their queries and issues in a timely manner. Although there are other support ticket management applications available, choosing a web hosting billing system that offers built-in support management will allow you to streamline your support methods as you will be able to access everything about a client from a single interface, therefore reducing the amount of time that it will take you to diagnose an issue and respond to the ticket.
Carried forward from last post, we will overview the remaining levels of RAID in this post.
- RAID-6: This level have similarities of RAID-5 but this comes with extra second parity scheme which is distributed across different drives. The level offers very high fault-tolerance as well as drive-failure tolerance.
- RAID-7: This level of RAID comes with a real-time embedded OS which works as a controller. It also performs caching via high-speed bus as well as provided facility of stand-alone computer.
- RAID-10: After looking at the features one can easily come to know the RAID-10 is nothing but the combination of RAID-0 and RAID-1 as a result this level offers higher performance than RAID-1 but your also should be prepared to pay more amount for that. There are two subtypes can be found in RAID-10. In first one data is organized as stripes across multiple disks and then those striped disk sets are mirrored. In second subtype the data is mirrored and those mirrors are striped.
- RAID-50: (or RAID-5+0): This level is carried with the series of RAID-5 level and striped in RAID-0, this made it possible to achieve improvement in performance without compromising anything with the data security.
- RAID-53: (or RAID-5+3): This level consist of striping for RAID-3 virtual disk blocks with higher performance than the RAID-3 but for a higher cost.
- RAID-S: This level is a substitute proprietary method which consist of of striping parity RAID from EMC Symmetrix which is not in use currently. It appears very similar to RAID-5 but with a little bit performance enhancement achievement. This level is also know for having a high-speed disk cache on the disk array. This level is also called as Parity RAID
So above we reviewed different levels available and can be provided as a RAID features, hence its important for webmasters who are going to select Dedicated Server Hosting for their websites, to analyze their requirements and ask for the suitable RAID lever from their prospective Web Hosting Services provider.
RAID is an important feature of Web Hosting Services which is provided as main feature with Dedicated Server Hosting services. and it comes with various levels, a web hosting client can choose it as per his requirements.
- RAID-0: This RAID technique has striping but lack of data redundancy and that’s why it can only provide the good performance without fault-tolerance.
- RAID-1: This is based on Disk mirroring and includes minimum two drives which duplicates the data stored. Without any striping read performance is improved. It provides best performances for multiple users with fault-tolerance feature.
- RAID-2: Striping exists here across multiple disks with error checking and correcting (ECC) information.
- RAID-3: One drive is used for striping and storing parity information. Error checking and correcting (ECC) information features is used for detection errors. After calculating the exclusive OR (XOR) of data stored on the other driver, data recovery can be achieved. The drawback with RAID-3 is it can not overlap I/O because I/O operations address all drive at the same time. RAID-3 is recommended for single user systems which have long record applications.
- RAID-4: It is targeted towards the large stripes, so that webmasters can read records from any single drive, which provides the benefit of overlapped I/O for reading operations only, for write operations no I/O overlapping advantage because all writing operations need to update the parity drive.
- RAID-5: This level of RAID is based on rotation of parity array. Drawback of no write operation with overlapped I/O in RAID-4 is removed in this level. Unlike RAID-4 both read and write operations can be overlapped with RAID-5. It stores parity information but lacks data redundancy, despite this absence of data redundancy its possible to reconstruct data by using parity information. Minimum three disks are required for array in RAID-5. For the multi-user systems which perform less critical and limited write operations, RAID-5 is recommended.
Still there are many levels of RAID which will be shared in next post.
A Windows VPS server or Windows dedicated server will provide you with a dedicated Windows web hosting environment capable of supporting the standard features that you would expect from a Windows web hosting service, as well as the additional benefits that come with using dedicated web hosting. When choosing a Windows server you will want to consider your requirements specifically so that you can choose a server that can provide you with the resources that you need; Windows servers are available with varying specifications, with low specification servers being the cheapest whilst a high end Windows server is going to cost you more. Although Windows server hosting is going to be slightly more expensive than a Linux server, it is important to remember that you are only probably considering Windows server hosting because you have a specific need for the Windows operating system. Microsoft produces a number of enterprise-level applications that are used by businesses to power their internal infrastructures and website backends; because Windows is usually the only operation system that these applications will run on, there is always going to be a distinct need for Windows web hosting services amongst larger businesses, although individuals are always open to using Windows web hosting.
A Linux server will be a cheaper option than a Windows server and can provide you with greater flexibility if you are looking to make more use of open source applications with your servers. As most Windows applications are commercial, you have to pay for a license to use them; on the other hand a majority of Linux applications have followed suit of the operating system and are also open source meaning that not only are they free to use, but their source code is also freely available to modify and recompile as you wish. Linux is seen as a better option for smaller businesses because the cost-free approach of most Linux distributions means that businesses don’t have to invest so much into their web hosting services and can spend the extra money more appropriately around the business and an help to increase output and profits. A Linux server will be able to provide you with an environment that is capable of hosting a website and email services using various technologies; one of the most popular applications for use on a Linux server is Apache, which is currently the most popular web server application in use on the internet by a long shot.
When upgrading from a shared web hosting package, your next choice of hosting service is likely to be a dedicated web hosting package, whether it be a VPS server or a dedicated server. Dedicated web hosting services provide you with your own dedicated hosting environment that is isolated from other users so that you can make the configurations changes that you see fit and install any applications or components that you need in order your website to be able to function correctly. Dedicated web hosting services are available form a variety of web hosting companies which enables you to find a dedicated web hosting service that not only offers you the resources you need, but is also incredibly affordable. A VPS server can still be seen as a form of shared web hosting because you are still going to be sharing the physical hosting node with other VPS servers; a dedicated server on the other hand can provide you with complete isolation away from any other users because you will be the only one managing your server. Both can provide you with the dedicated hosting environment that you require, although you will be able to a lot more with one than the other.